The Tech for Good Live Volunteer programme is a partnership between Macc, 10GM members, other VCSE infrastructure organisations within Greater Manchester and Tech for Good Live.
Tech for Good Live is a community of people with a mix of digital skills and an interest in using technology to make the world a better place. They want to help the local community do good things. They are working with 10GM members and other local infrastructure organisations across Greater Manchester to find out what local charities need help with in relation to tech or digital.
All of the information you provide on the form below will be handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. Your details will be shared with the partnership to ensure the effective delivery of our support and for the purposes of contacting you regarding this programme. Read our privacy notice here
Many VCSE sector organisations are having to pivot quickly to distance working and working-from-home arrangements. This can be a challenge for a sector which hasn’t always done this traditionally, and who don’t have the budget or staff to quickly mobilise digital infrastructure. A wide range of technology tools and companies have introduced offers to support organisations responding to Covid-19. A few that might be helpful for you include:
- Microsoft Teams is being widely used by public services (including across the NHS). It includes video-conferencing facilities, the ability to share files, and instant messaging tools (like SMS messages, but on a computer). Microsoft are now making a free version of Teams available to anyone. This might help you to engage more effectively with public sector organisations in your area. Find information on how you can sign up here
- Zoom is also being widely used (and proving to be quite stable) for people to video-conference over the internet. Find out more about how to use it here Salford CVS have produced a guide on using Zoom securely - Security Settings for Zoom
- Dropbox is a service for sharing files remotely. It is offering free Business accounts for 3 months to charities and non-profits working on Covid-19 response. Sign up here
- Mailchimp is a system for sending out email newsletter (it simplifies distribution lists, scheduling of emails etc.) It is making a similar offer of free access to its paid-for service (called ‘Standard’) to Governments and charities who need to communicate with people about the disease. Sign up here
Digital tools for participation: where to start? Blog from Involve
Manchester Adult Education Digital Skills Support and Online Learning Sessions
MAES Digital are offering a series of 1 hour online sessions:
- Homeschooling Help (explore engaging resources to help your children learn at home)
- Digital Skills for Work (update your digital skills with guidance and support from MAES Digital team)
- Staying Safe Online (know how to be safe and secure from scammers and phishing)
- Digital A, B, Cs (get help to Access services and information, Buy and Bank online, Connect with others)
Charity Digital supports charities and not for profit organisations with digital technology. In response to the emerging need for the sector to quickly adapt to working more digitally they have produced a number of useful resources, articles, top tips and podcasts
Charity Digital - Coronavirus and working from home: How to secure remote systems
The Charity Digital Podcast - Are you set up for remote working?
Coping with coronavirus: Your questions answered – Charity Digital answer your questions on how to maintain charity operations in the face of COVID-19
COVID-19: Digital service delivery for charities, created by Third Sector Lab and SCVO Digital