Manchester Craft and Design Centre (MCDC) houses 20 studios in the Northern Quarter with a café, exhibition and events space, and supportive staff team. The studios are open to the public, where community of makers create and sell their work. The studios are a place where people can come and learn about Craft – by visiting exhibitions, taking part in workshops to learn new skills or buying things from the studios.
At the moment, the community of makers doesn’t reflect the population of Greater Manchester. To begin to address this, MCDC have recently secured funding for three bursaries for diverse makers. We are committed to diversifying MCDC and this project is the beginning of a long-term process of opening up their space to more makers who identify themselves as coming from a background which is under-represented in the arts and cultural sector.
MCDC want to break down the barriers to a career in craft, and will work with you to be as flexible as possible to your needs. Bursaries will be awarded to three successful applicants by the end of March 2021. MCDC will then work with you to plan training, access to a studio and mentoring from April to September.
The bursary project includes:
- Free studio space for 2 months
- A bursary of £1000 for materials or equipment to help you create your work
- A budget for shop fittings if you choose to use the studio space
- Access to a mentor to discuss your creative and business development and help identify opportunities for support and progression (e.g. funding opportunities or exhibition opportunities)
- Fortnightly meetings with a maker community to discuss your work and any challenges you’re facing
- Free Creative Business Development workshops
- Membership to A-N Network for a year
- MCDC would like the bursaries to conclude with an exhibition
Free showcase at Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair in October, the North’s leading and award-winning craft fair.
On 17 March, MCDC will be holding one-to-one sessions on zoom or on the phone for anyone that is thinking about applying. To book a 20-minute chat with to talk about your application or to hear more about the project, email: email@example.com
Deadline: 24 March 2021, 10am