Mustard Tree are one of the most established charities in the North of England supporting those facing poverty and homelessness. Mustard Tree have over 25 years of experience helping people across greater Manchester where their compassionate and intelligent approach, creates a safe space, a community of hope and aspiration, opportunity and belonging where together each other’s confidence and skills are lifted.
Mustard Tree’s work impacts the lives of thousands of people every year, who are the most vulnerable and hard to engage with groups in society.
As Mustard Tree grows, they are now looking for three new trustees to help ensure they fulfil their duties to beneficiaries, deliver their vision and mission, and sustainably grow for the future.
There is an expectation that Trustees will:
• Regularly attend and contribute to Board meetings
• Commit and participate actively in any Board and sub-committee work
• Prepare well for meetings; reviewing and commenting on reports and papers
• Have a passion for and interest in matters relating to alleviating poverty, marginalisation and homelessness
• Play an active role in setting strategic direction, and in the governance of the organisation
• Embody Mustard Tree’s values and mission
As a trustee your obligations will be to:
• Ensure the organisation complies with its governing documents, charity law, company law and regulations
• Ensure the organisation pursues its objects as defined in governing documents
• Ensure the organisation is using resources in a sustainable and appropriate manner
• Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
• Protect the reputation and stability of the charity
• Monitor and hold senior management to account
• Maintain an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
You will have a strong empathy with Mustard Tree’s mission and values, and will want to inspire people to change lives for those who are impacted by homelessness and marginalisation. You will have a proven track record of sound judgement and decision making in your field, together with (ideally) experience of operating on (or within) a charitable board, public sector or commercial organisation. Mustard Tree has its roots in the Christian tradition and you should be comfortable with that.
Interested parties are requested to submit by email: email@example.com the following documents:
1. A CV, highlighting areas relevant to Mustard Tree’s work, and the role of a trustee
2. A covering statement
Use your covering letter to demonstrate how your skills, qualities and experience meet each of our requirements listed, and how they have helped you achieve relevant, positive results.
To be effective, Mustard Tree needs to understand a wide range of practices, sectors and perspectives, and is seeking to enhance the diversity, skill-sets and experiences of the Board. With that in mind, the trustee recruitment will be a rolling programme over the next 12 months in order to give the charity time to attract specific expertise. In the first instance, relevant candidates will be contacted for an initial informal discussion with one of the Trustees.