Nesta have launched Amplified, offering funding and support to develop digital ideas that improve the lives of others.
Nesta are calling all cultural and creative organisations, not-for-profit or commercial, to come up with a digital idea that addresses a social challenge and produces a social benefit. Your idea can be local or global, as long as it has a real world benefit. Think hands-on results at street level, not clever comms campaigns.
Together with a panel of industry experts the eight best ideas will be selected. If you’re chosen, you will be given help to accelerate your digital idea, £10k in funding to get it off the ground and you will be partnered with a mentor to help guide you through the opportunities and pitfalls as you look to amplify your social impact and get measurable results.
Amplified is a pilot programme supporting cultural and creative organisations seeking to develop digital ideas that generate social impact.
Nesta are looking for ambitious proposals that:
• Have a clearly identified positive social outcome(s) and a persuasive case of why the digital idea will make a difference to this outcome
• Ideas that are rooted in digital technology first and foremost. Digital innovation needs to be at the heart of your idea but the intervention can expand beyond digital to incorporate a live performance, exhibition, festival etc.
• Existing digital projects will also be considered if they require further development, and can demonstrate impact at scale that is clearly aligned with a beneficiary group
• We encourage collaborations with other organisations both inside and outside of the creative industries e.g. third sector or public services, however it must be clear in your application the creative/cultural organisation is the lead organisation
• Can demonstrate the potential for impact at scale
Applications will need to demonstrate:
• evidence of need and clearly identify a social outcome
• a time commitment to developing the idea and participating in the pilot programme
• have a track record of delivering creative digital projects
• have appropriate networks or channels to reach out to people, both to help develop the digital idea and as well as the beneficiary group
• have staff already in place to lead this work (rather than relying on new appointments) so you can hit the ground running
• have a commitment to being part of a fast-paced and creative innovation process, and are supported by a senior management team who are open to challenge and support
• have a commitment to measuring the performance and impact of the digital innovation
• Eligibility criteria
• Cultural or creative organisations, trading for a minimum of 3 years in the UK.
Nesta are looking to fund ideas from both arts and cultural organisations as well as businesses within the wider creative industries, particularly where those businesses feel their ideas can positively impact the lives of others. These could be games companies, design agencies, media agencies or other firms.
The idea needs to make use of digital technologies
The idea needs to address a social challenge (this can be a local or global challenge)
Deadline for expressions of interest: 14 November 2018